1. On March 8, 1911, the Connecticut legislature passed a law granting women the right to vote in municipal elections, making Connecticut the first state east of the Mississippi River to grant this right.
2. In 1955, on March 8, the first McDonald's franchise in Connecticut opened in New Britain.
3. On March 8, 1971, the Connecticut Huskies, the men's basketball team at the University of Connecticut, won their first-ever Yankee Conference championship.
4. On March 8, 1999, the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples were entitled to the same legal rights as heterosexual couples, paving the way for legalized same-sex marriage in the state.
5. On March 8, 2018, the Connecticut State Senate passed legislation to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2023, making it one of several states to take such action.
- Tags: CT