1. On March 8, 1857, several women employed in a New York City garment factory staged a protest demanding better working conditions and higher pay. This event would later become known as International Women's Day, celebrated worldwide on March 8.
2. March 8, 1837, marked the day that Iowa became a territory, separate from Wisconsin.
3. On March 8, 1913, the Iowa House of Representatives passed a bill designating the eastern goldfinch as the state bird of Iowa.
4. Iowa State University's first female student, Margaret Hall Stanton, graduated on March 8, 1878.
5. On March 8, 1971, the federal government took control of the Iowa Soldier's Home in Marshalltown, which had been in the hands of the Iowa government for over a century.
- Tags: IA