1. In 1858, the first train arrived in Cedar Rapids. The arrival of the train helped boost the city's economy and development.
2. In 1934, the famous outlaw duo Bonnie and Clyde were involved in a shootout with authorities in Iowa. The shootout occurred on a rural road near Dexter and left the two criminals with minor injuries.
3. In 1901, the city of Des Moines experienced a deadly tornado. The tornado killed 71 people and caused significant damage to the city.
4. In 1996, Iowa became the first state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled that the state's ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.
5. In 1992, Olympian Dan Gable was inducted into the United States Olympic Hall of Fame. Gable won a gold medal in wrestling at the 1972 Summer Olympics and went on to coach the University of Iowa wrestling team to numerous national championships.
- Tags: IA