1. In 1854, the first state Normal School in the United States was established in New Britain, Connecticut. This school trained teachers and eventually became Central Connecticut State University.
2. In 1875, the Hartford Dark Blues were established as a professional baseball team. They were one of the charter members of the National League and won the league championship in 1876.
3. On May 12, 1945, the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear-powered submarine, was launched from the Electric Boat Company in Groton, Connecticut. The Nautilus went on to set numerous submarine records and was in service for over 25 years.
4. In 1972, Connecticut became the first state to pass a law allowing for no-fault divorce. This meant that couples could divorce without having to prove that one party was at fault for the breakdown of the marriage.
5. In 2009, the Connecticut Senate passed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage. Connecticut was the third state in the country to legalize same-sex marriage, following Massachusetts and California (although California's law was later overturned by a referendum).
- Tags: CT