1. In 1946, the deadliest tornado in Iowa history struck the town of Charles City on May 16, killing 13 people and causing extensive damage to the town.
2. On May 16, 1935, the first Rural Electrification Administration project in Iowa was organized in the town of Hampton. This marked the beginning of the electrification of many rural communities across the state.
3. May 16, 1919 marks the opening of the Iowa State Capitol building in Des Moines. The building, which took 14 years to construct, is a prime example of the Beaux Arts architectural style.
4. In 1870, the Iowa State Agricultural College (now Iowa State University) enrolled its first class of students on May 16. The school has since become one of the leading agricultural research institutions in the world.
5. May 16, 1910 saw the establishment of the Iowa State Highway Commission, which was tasked with developing a statewide system of highways. This paved the way for the modern road infrastructure that we know today.
- Tags: IA