1. In 1846, the Iowa Territory was established, which eventually led to Iowa becoming the 29th state in the United States in 1847.
2. In 1876, the state's first fair was held in Cedar Rapids, which showcased Iowa's agricultural accomplishments and became an annual event.
3. On May 18, 1917, World War I draft registration began in Iowa, with over 287,000 Iowans registering by the end of the month.
4. In 1954, the famous Iowa Great Lakes were formed when the Army Corps of Engineers completed a dam on the Des Moines River, creating one of the state's most popular vacation destinations.
5. May 18, 2013, marked the opening of the Des Moines Social Club, a community arts organization dedicated to providing access to arts and culture for all Iowans through educational programs, events, and performances.
- Tags: IA