1) On May 2, 1670, the Swedish colony of Delaware was officially incorporated into the English-dominated colony of Pennsylvania, marking the end of Swedish colonial control in the region.
2) In 1777, during the Revolutionary War, British troops under General William Howe landed near present-day Lewes, Delaware, and engaged in a brief skirmish with local militia before moving on to attack Philadelphia.
3) On May 2, 1861, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which abolished slavery throughout the country.
4) The first baseball game ever played in Delaware took place on May 2, 1865, when the Wilmington Quicksteps defeated the visiting Camden Merrimacs by a score of 46-7.
5) On May 2, 1964, the first Festival of the Peonies was held in Wilmington, Delaware, featuring displays of the flowering plant and cultural demonstrations by Japanese residents of the city. The festival has since become an annual tradition in the state, attracting visitors from all over the country.
- Tags: DE