1. The town of Van Meter, Iowa was terrorized by a mysterious creature on May 27, 1903. Local newspapers reported sightings of a winged creature with glowing eyes that had been scaring the townspeople. The creature was never caught, and its identity remains a mystery.
2. On May 27, 1953, the Iowa State Highway Commission approved plans to construct the first segment of what would become Interstate 80 in Iowa. The segment would connect Davenport and Iowa City.
3. The Iowa Barnstormers, a professional indoor football team, played their first game on May 27, 1995. The team would go on to make multiple playoff appearances and win the ArenaBowl XXI championship in 2001.
4. Iowa Governor Chet Culver signed a bill into law on May 27, 2009, legalizing same-sex marriage in the state. Iowa became the third state in the US to allow same-sex couples to marry, and the first in the Midwest region.
5. On May 27, 2017, Iowa State University held its first ever graduation ceremony for ROTC cadets. The ceremony included a commissioning ceremony for the newly commissioned officers in the US Army, and was attended by university and military officials as well as family members of the graduates.
- Tags: IA