1. In 1830, the Ohio and Erie Canal was completed, connecting Lake Erie to the Ohio River and greatly enhancing trade and transportation in the state.
2. On May 28, 1926, President Calvin Coolidge dedicated the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery. The soldier buried there is believed to be an Ohioan who died in World War I.
3. In 1948, Lebron James, one of the greatest basketball players of all time, was born in Akron, Ohio.
4. On May 28, 1830, the first steam locomotive built west of the Allegheny Mountains, called the "Ohio," arrived in Cincinnati. It was used to transport goods and people along the recently completed Ohio and Erie Canal.
5. In 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco was officially opened to the public. The main cables of the bridge were manufactured by the American Steel and Wire Company in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Tags: OH