1. On May 4, 1927, the Indiana State Police was officially established. It originally consisted of just 16 officers and was tasked with enforcing traffic laws, but has since grown to over 1,300 officers responsible for a wide range of law enforcement duties across the state.
2. The town of Mooresville, Indiana was founded on May 4, 1824. Located in Morgan County, it was named for Samuel Moore, one of the early settlers who helped establish the community.
3. May 4, 2014 marked the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500, one of the most prestigious and well-known auto races in the world. The race has been held annually at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway since 1911.
4. On May 4, 1911, the first ever flight by an airplane in Indiana took place in Terre Haute. The aircraft was a biplane built by inventor and mechanic Harry Woodmansee, who piloted the flight himself.
5. Indiana University was established on May 4, 1820, when the state legislature approved the creation of the Indiana State Seminary. The school, which started with just ten students, has since grown into one of the largest universities in the United States, with a total enrollment of over 90,000 students across its eight campuses.
- Tags: IN