1. In 1824, the town of Quincy was incorporated in Florida. It was named after John Quincy Adams, who at the time was serving as the Secretary of State.
2. On May 7, 1896, construction began on the Tampa Bay Hotel. The hotel, which cost $2.5 million to build, was a luxurious resort that catered to wealthy travelers. It is now home to the University of Tampa.
3. In 1937, the World's Fair opened in Miami, Florida. The fair attracted millions of visitors and showcased the latest technology and innovations of the time.
4. On May 7, 1949, the Florida State League played its first game. The league, which still exists today, is one of the oldest minor baseball leagues in the United States.
5. In 1977, the first Disney water park, River Country, opened in Florida. The park was located near Fort Wilderness and was designed to look like an old-fashioned swimming hole. It closed permanently in 2001.
- Tags: FL