1. Pea Ridge National Military Park was established on May 9, 1956. The park commemorates the Battle of Pea Ridge, which took place in 1862 and was a pivotal moment in the Civil War in Arkansas.
2. The Arkansas Ozarks Folk Center opened on May 9, 1976. Located in Mountain View, the center celebrates the folk traditions and music of the Ozarks region.
3. On May 9, 1913, prominent Arkansas businessman and philanthropist Harvey Couch founded the Arkansas Power and Light Company, which would eventually become Entergy Arkansas.
4. Arkansas native and civil rights leader Daisy Bates was born on May 9, 1914. Bates played an instrumental role in the desegregation of Little Rock Central High School in 1957.
5. May 9, 1927 saw the opening of the Arkansas State Capitol building in Little Rock. The neoclassical structure remains the seat of state government to this day.
- Tags: AR