1. On November 14, 1858, the first issue of the Leavenworth Daily Times was printed. This newspaper helped to establish Leavenworth, Kansas as a major center for journalism in the state.
2. November 14, 1861 saw the first documented steamboat race on the Kansas River. The boats, named the Belle of Lawrence and the Colorado, raced from Lawrence to Kansas City. The Belle of Lawrence won the race by just one minute.
3. On November 14, 1938, the University of Kansas football team played their last game in Hoch Auditorium before moving to Memorial Stadium. The Jayhawks defeated the Missouri Tigers 18-6.
4. In 1960, the Kansas City Chiefs played their first game at Municipal Stadium (now known as Kauffman Stadium). The team defeated the Denver Broncos 17-10.
5. November 14, 1998 saw the opening of the Flint Hills Discovery Center in Manhattan, Kansas. This museum celebrates the history, ecology, and culture of the Flint Hills region in Kansas. It features interactive exhibits and educational programming for visitors of all ages.
- Tags: KS