1. In 1846, Iowa became the 29th state to join the Union.
2. In 1894, the famous Iowa historian and author Albert B. Cory published "A History of Marion County, Iowa" which chronicled the history of the county from its earliest days to the present.
3. In 1900, the city of Dubuque was declared a free city by the United States government. This meant that it was no longer considered under martial law and could be governed by a civilian authority.
4. In 1939, the first airplane to be built in Iowa was completed in the city of Des Moines. The airplane was called the “De Luxe” and was built by the Iowa Manufacturing Company.
5. In 1957, the first legal handball court in the United States was built in Cedar Falls, Iowa. The court was designed by famed handball player and architect, Hal Washington. Today, Cedar Falls is still considered one of the premier handball destinations in the country.
- Tags: IA