1. In 1559, Spanish conquistador Don Tristán de Luna established a settlement in what is now Pensacola, making it the first European settlement on the mainland of North America.
2. In 1968, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, a 4-mile-long bridge spanning Tampa Bay, opened to traffic. It is recognized as one of the world's most beautiful bridges and is a popular tourist attraction.
3. In 1987, a wastewater treatment plant in Tarpon Springs exploded, killing two people and injuring several others. The explosion was caused by a buildup of methane gas in one of the plant's holding tanks.
4. In 2013, The Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg, which houses the largest collection of Salvador Dalí's works outside of Europe, unveiled a new building designed by architect Yann Weymouth. The building features a geodesic glass dome that allows natural light to illuminate the art inside.
5. In 2018, the state's recount for the gubernatorial and senatorial races began, following close results on election day. The recount process was fraught with controversy, with accusations of voter fraud and irregularities causing tensions to run high.
- Tags: FL