1. On November 18, 1896, the city of Gary, Indiana was founded by United States Steel Corporation. It quickly became an industrial powerhouse, with large steel mills and a booming population of workers.
2. In 1925, on November 18, the Indiana Bell Telephone Company made the first commercial transcontinental telephone call from its facilities in Indianapolis. The call went to San Francisco and was a huge breakthrough in long-distance communication.
3. November 18, 1985, was the date of the deadliest plane crash in Indiana history. A chartered airplane carrying 38 people, including the University of Evansville basketball team, crashed shortly after takeoff, killing all on board.
4. On November 18, 2013, it was announced that Indianapolis would host the 2022 College Football Playoff National Championship game. It marked the first time that the city had hosted a national championship in football.
5. The Indiana State Capitol building was officially dedicated on November 18, 1888. It took more than a decade to build the impressive structure, which features a dome that is 242 feet high and is made of Indiana limestone.
- Tags: IN