1. In 1925, the Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church was founded in Coralville, Iowa. This church has grown to become one of the largest in the state, with a membership of over 2,000.
2. On November 18, 1936, Iowa State University became the first college in the country to broadcast a football game on television. The game was played against the University of Minnesota and was broadcast on a local station in Ames, Iowa.
3. Iowa's first state capitol building was completed on November 18, 1840, in Iowa City. The building was used as the state capitol until it was destroyed by fire in 1857.
4. The Sinclair Refining Company, now known as BP, opened a refinery in Sinclair, Iowa, on November 18, 1916. The refinery was one of the largest in the world at the time, and played a significant role in the growth of the town of Sinclair.
5. On November 18, 1929, the first public television broadcast in the United States took place in Iowa City. The broadcast was a speech by then-governor of Iowa, Dan Turner, and was aired on experimental station W9XK.
- Tags: IA