1. In 1899, the Hawaiian flag was lowered for the last time as Hawaii was officially annexed by the United States.
2. On November 2, 2002, the Hōkūleʻa, a traditional Polynesian voyaging canoe, departed from Honolulu on a historic 47,000-nautical-mile journey around the world without modern navigation instruments.
3. In 2004, Barack Obama, who was living in Hawaii at the time, won a seat in the U.S. Senate, making him only the third African American to be elected to that position since Reconstruction.
4. On November 2, 2019, Hawaii became the 26th state to decriminalize marijuana, reducing the penalty for possession of up to three grams of the drug to a $130 fine.
5. In 1936, Hawaii established its first state park, Hanauma Bay, which is now a popular destination for snorkeling and marine life observation.
- Tags: HI