1. Birth of Meredith Willson: November 21, 1902, was the day when Meredith Willson was born in Mason City, Iowa. He was a renowned musician, songwriter, and playwright, best known for creating the Broadway musical, The Music Man.
2. Iowa State Fair Tragedy: On November 21, 1883, a massive fire broke out at the Iowa State Fair, resulting in the deaths of 35 people and injuring over 100. The fire destroyed several fair buildings and exhibits, including a large roller skating rink, which was where the fire started.
3. Kuemper Catholic High School Tragedy: On November 21, 1940, a devastating fire occurred at Kuemper Catholic High School in Carroll, Iowa, killing four students and injuring over 30 others. The school building was destroyed, and it took many years for the community to recover from this tragic incident.
4. Iowa Hawkeyes Football History: November 21, 1953, was the day when the Iowa Hawkeyes football team scored a historic 14-13 victory over the Ohio State Buckeyes. This game is still remembered as one of the greatest upsets in college football history.
5. Birth of Chuck Grassley: November 21, 1933, was the day when Chuck Grassley, a Republican senator from Iowa, was born. He has been serving in the Senate since 1980 and is known for his strong conservative views on issues such as tax reform and immigration.
- Tags: IA