Here are 5 interesting events that occurred on November 23 in Kansas history:
1. In 1864, the Battle of Marais des Cygnes took place near Trading Post, Kansas, during the American Civil War. Union forces led by General George C. Custer defeated a Confederate raiding party, which resulted in significant Confederate losses and disrupted their plans to disrupt Union communication and supply lines.
2. In 1895, the first intercollegiate football game in Kansas was played between the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri in Kansas City. The game ended in a 22-0 victory for Missouri.
3. In 1927, O.P. Shannon became the first woman to serve as a judge in Kansas. Governor Ben S. Paulen appointed her to the position of probate judge for Cowley County.
4. In 1953, President Dwight D. Eisenhower visited his boyhood home in Abilene, Kansas, during a cross-country train tour. He met with old friends and classmates from his days at Abilene High School.
5. In 2010, the Kansas City Chiefs hosted the Seattle Seahawks at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. The Chiefs won the game 42-24, with quarterback Matt Cassel throwing for a career-high four touchdowns.
- Tags: KS