1. In 1663, Rhode Island received its Royal Charter from King Charles II, which gave the colony the authority to establish its own laws and government. This charter served as the foundation for Rhode Island's political and legal systems, and helped establish the principle of religious freedom.
2. On November 24, 1732, the famous Rhode Island merchant and slave trader Aaron Lopez was born in Lisbon, Portugal. Lopez was one of the wealthiest and most influential merchants in colonial America, and was a major participant in the Atlantic slave trade, which brought thousands of African slaves to the New World.
3. In 1783, Rhode Island became the first state to officially declare Thanksgiving a state holiday. This was several years before the federal government established Thanksgiving as a national holiday, making Rhode Island a pioneer in recognizing this important national tradition.
4. On November 24, 1834, the Rhode Island Railroad was incorporated, marking a major milestone in the development of the state's transportation infrastructure. The railroad allowed for faster and more efficient transportation of goods and people throughout Rhode Island and beyond, helping to spur economic growth and development.
5. In 1888, Brown University played its first football game against the University of Massachusetts. This game marked the beginning of Brown's football program, which has since become one of the oldest and most prestigious football programs in the country. Today, Brown boasts a proud athletic tradition and is known for its competitive athletic programs in a variety of sports.
5 Fun Facts About November 24 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →