1. In 1878, the Oregon State Agricultural Society held its first meeting in Salem, Oregon. The society was formed to promote agriculture in the state and helped establish the Oregon State Fair.
2. In 1914, the South Jetty at the mouth of the Columbia River was completed. The jetty, which is 9,000 feet long and 40 feet wide, was built to improve navigation and prevent the formation of dangerous sandbars.
3. In 1956, the Tillamook Burn, a massive forest fire that burned more than 355,000 acres of forest in the Coast Range, was finally contained. The fire destroyed 13 communities and killed 13 people.
4. In 1978, the Oregon Legislature voted to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana. The state was one of the first in the nation to take such action.
5. In 2016, the Oregon Ducks defeated the Oregon State Beavers 34-24 in the Civil War rivalry football game. The game was played at Reser Stadium in Corvallis, Oregon.
5 Fun Facts About November 30 In Oregon History
---Learn Every Day: OR Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history or To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OR
← Older Post Newer Post →