1. In 1861, the Battle of Fredericktown took place in Missouri during the Civil War. Kansas troops played a significant role in the Union victory.
2. In 1901, the Carnegie Library opened in Emporia, Kansas. Andrew Carnegie donated $20,000 for its construction.
3. In 1917, Clyde Cessna flew his first airplane. He would go on to found the Cessna Aircraft Company, which became one of the world's largest manufacturers of small airplanes.
4. In 1933, a massive dust storm swept across Kansas and much of the Great Plains. The storm, known as the "Black Blizzard," was one of the worst of the Dust Bowl era.
5. In 1994, the Kansas City Royals won the American League Championship Series, advancing to the World Series for the first time in 11 years. They would go on to lose to the Atlanta Braves in the World Series.
- Tags: KS