1. On October 13, 1775, the United States Navy was established. In Pennsylvania, there were several naval shipyards, including one in Philadelphia, which played a crucial role in the Revolutionary War.
2. On October 13, 1792, the cornerstone was laid for the first building of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. The University has since become one of the most prestigious institutions of higher education in the United States.
3. On October 13, 1845, the first public demonstration of the telegraph was held by Samuel Morse in Philadelphia. The telegraph revolutionized communication and had a profound impact on the way people live and work.
4. On October 13, 1927, the first NFL game was played in Philadelphia between the Frankford Yellow Jackets and the Chicago Cardinals. This was the beginning of what would become one of the most popular sports leagues in the world.
5. On October 13, 2006, the Philadelphia Phillies won their first National League pennant since 1993. This was a historic moment for the team and their fans, as they went on to win the World Series the following year.
5 Fun Facts About October 13 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →