1. In 1638, a group of Swedish colonists arrived in the region now known as Wilmington, Delaware. They founded the colony of New Sweden, which was the first European settlement in the Delaware Valley.
2. On October 14, 1777, the Battle of Germantown was fought in Pennsylvania during the American Revolutionary War. Delaware soldiers were among the Continental Army forces that fought against the British under General William Howe.
3. In 1823, the Delaware State House in Dover was completed. The building still stands today and is home to the Delaware General Assembly.
4. On October 14, 1889, the University of Delaware was founded as the Delaware College for Colored Students. It later became a coeducational institution and was renamed the University of Delaware in 1921.
5. In 1963, Delaware Governor Elbert N. Carvel signed into law the Minimum Wage Act, which established a minimum wage of $1 per hour for most workers in the state. This was one of the earliest state minimum wage laws in the United States.
- Tags: DE