1. In 1906, the Great Northern Railway station was opened in Williston, North Dakota. The station played a vital role in the transportation of goods and people during the early 20th century.
2. On October 16, 1926, Fargo airman Carl Ben Eielson and his mechanic Earl Borland made the first aerial crossing of the Arctic Ocean from Point Barrow, Alaska, to Spitsbergen, Norway.
3. In 1991, Governor George Sinner declared a state of emergency due to severe winter weather that led to power outages and stranded motorists across North Dakota.
4. The University of North Dakota played its first football game on October 16, 1894, against the Fargo Athletic Club. UND won the game 6-0.
5. On October 16, 1915, the final leg of the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition was held in Bismarck, North Dakota. The event celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark expedition and featured exhibits showcasing North Dakota's history, culture, and natural resources.
- Tags: ND