1. In 1866, the Purdue University was founded in West Lafayette, Indiana. It is known for offering a wide variety of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs in fields like engineering, technology, and agriculture.
2. On October 18, 1906, businessman and philanthropist John H. Holliday donated $50,000 to the city of Indianapolis to establish a public park that would come to be known as Holliday Park.
3. In 1967, the Indiana Pacers played their very first game as a professional basketball team in the old ABA (American Basketball Association) league. They beat the Kentucky Colonels 119-116 in overtime.
4. On October 18, 1983, the NCAA initiated a probe into allegations of drug use among members of the Indiana University basketball team. The investigation led to the resignation of head coach Bob Knight and a two-year probation for the program.
5. Finally, on October 18, 1989, the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore was designated as a National Park. It spans more than 15,000 acres along the southern shores of Lake Michigan and includes forests, wetlands, sand dunes, and beaches.
- Tags: IN