These are some interesting facts about October 21 in Kansas history:
1. In 1864, the Battle of Mine Creek occurred in Linn County, Kansas, during the American Civil War. It was one of the largest cavalry battles of the war, and Union forces defeated Confederate forces, resulting in a significant blow to the Confederate army's morale and resources.
2. In 1927, Charles Lindbergh landed his famous plane, the Spirit of St. Louis, in Wichita, Kansas, during his tour of the United States after his historic transatlantic flight.
3. In 1954, the University of Kansas basketball program was put on probation by the NCAA due to allegations of recruiting violations.
4. In 1971, the Kansas City Chiefs, led by quarterback Len Dawson, defeated the New England Patriots 27-3 in an American Football League game at Arrowhead Stadium.
5. In 2011, the Kansas City Royals named Ned Yost as their new manager, succeeding interim manager Ned Yost. Yost would go on to manage the Royals for nearly nine seasons and lead them to two World Series appearances, including a championship in 2015.
- Tags: KS