1. On October 22, 1868, a group of suffragists gathered in Mount Pleasant, Iowa to organize the first statewide suffrage convention in Iowa history. The convention marked a major milestone in the fight for women's right to vote in the state.
2. Iowa's oldest continually operating theater, the Iowa Theater in Bloomfield, opened its doors on October 22, 1885. The theater has hosted a variety of events and performances over the years, including live theater, movies, and concerts.
3. On October 22, 1936, the Iowa State Patrol was officially established by Governor Nelson G. Kraschel. The state patrol was created to provide a more organized and professional law enforcement presence on Iowa's highways and rural roads.
4. Iowa-born astronaut Peggy Whitson set a record for the most spacewalks by a female astronaut on October 22, 2017. Whitson has logged a total of 10 spacewalks during her career, including several on board the International Space Station.
5. In 1844, a group of pioneers led by Charles C. Rich established the settlement of Garden Grove, Iowa on October 22. Garden Grove was one of several communities established along the Mormon Pioneer Trail in Iowa and played an important role in the westward expansion of the United States.
- Tags: IA