1. The actor Ed Marinaro was born in New York on October 23, 1950, but moved to California to attend Cornell University, where he played football. He later signed with the Minnesota Vikings in the NFL before pursuing a career in acting.
2. On October 23, 1915, the city of Wichita established its first police department to help combat increasing violence and crime. The department consisted initially of one chief, two sergeants, and eight patrolmen.
3. The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 23-13 on October 23, 2017, during Monday Night Football. Alex Smith threw a touchdown pass and Kareem Hunt ran for 107 yards and a touchdown.
4. October 23, 1864, marked the Battle of Westport in the American Civil War. Union troops led by Samuel R. Curtis defeated Confederate forces led by Sterling Price in one of the largest battles west of the Mississippi River.
5. Kansas State University was founded on October 23, 1863, as the Kansas State Agricultural College. The first class was held on September 2, 1863, with 52 students in attendance.
- Tags: KS