1. In 1775, the British Royal Navy captured four American ships off the coast of Rhode Island, including the ship Katy.
2. In 1843, the Dorr Rebellion peaked in Rhode Island, with the state’s governor imposing martial law to put down the democratic uprising.
3. In 1917, the United States entered World War I, which had a significant impact on Rhode Island’s economy and workforce.
4. In 1966, the Newport Casino in Newport, Rhode Island was designated a National Historic Landmark, recognizing its architectural and cultural significance.
5. In 2008, the Rhode Island Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples have the right to marry under Rhode Island law, making it the eighth state in the U.S. to legalize same-sex marriage.
5 Fun Facts About October 23 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →