1. In 1904, the Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory were combined to create the state of Oklahoma. October 24 marks the anniversary of the official statehood proclamation signed by President Theodore Roosevelt.
2. On October 24, 1929, the stock market crash known as Black Thursday occurred, leading to the Great Depression. This event had a significant impact on the economy of Oklahoma and other states, leading to widespread unemployment and poverty.
3. In 1971, the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team played their first game in the NBA. October 24 marks the anniversary of their debut, which was a loss to the San Diego Rockets.
4. On October 24, 2005, a tornado hit the town of Moore, Oklahoma, causing significant damage and loss of life. This tornado was part of a series of severe weather events in the region that caused widespread destruction.
5. In 2018, the Oklahoma Historical Society announced that October 24 would be designated as Indigenous Peoples' Day in the state. This was done to recognize the contributions of Native American tribes and acknowledge the complicated history between indigenous and non-indigenous populations in Oklahoma.
5 Fun Facts About October 24 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →