1. In 1864, the Battle of Cedar Creek occurred during the Civil War. Colonel William A. Phillips led the Union troops, defeating the Confederates led by General Jubal Early. This battle helped secure the Union's control over the Shenandoah Valley.
2. In 1912, the First National Bank of Tahlequah was established. Today, it is still operating as part of BancFirst Corporation.
3. In 1943, the USS Oklahoma was launched at the Bethlehem Steel Company shipyards in Camden, New Jersey. The battleship was later sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor, with a tragic loss of life.
4. In 1965, the Oklahoma Supreme Court declared that the state's "right to work" law was unconstitutional. The law had prohibited unions from requiring workers to join as a condition of employment.
5. In 2005, the Oklahoma City Thunder played their first regular season game as a professional basketball team, losing 98-88 to the Sacramento Kings. The team had relocated from Seattle and would go on to become a major player in the NBA.
5 Fun Facts About October 26 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →