1. In 1868, the first meeting of the Iowa Academy of Sciences was held in Iowa City. The academy has since become one of the largest multi-disciplinary scientific organizations in the state.
2. On October 28, 1890, the Iowa State Agricultural College (now Iowa State University) hosted the first football game in the state's history. The "Aggies" defeated Grinnell College 16-0.
3. In 1965, the world's largest popcorn ball was created in Sac City, Iowa. The ball weighed 2,520 pounds and was made by combining over 4,000 pounds of popcorn, 1,600 pounds of sugar, and 880 pounds of corn syrup.
4. On October 28, 1989, the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art opened to the public. The museum features over 7,500 works of art, including the world's largest collection of works by Grant Wood, a famous Iowa artist.
5. In 1991, the Iowa State Cyclones defeated the nationally-ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers in a college football game known as the "Shock at Memorial." The Cyclones won 19-10, marking one of the biggest upsets in the school's history.
- Tags: IA