1. In 1894, the first issue of the Miami Metropolis newspaper was published, which went on to become the city's primary source of news for nearly a century.
2. In 1940, the city of Coral Gables was officially incorporated, becoming the first planned community in Florida and one of the first in the United States.
3. In 1956, the first commercial flight landed at the newly-opened Tampa International Airport, marking a new era of air travel for the region.
4. In 1998, Hurricane Mitch made landfall in Florida, causing widespread flooding and damage throughout the state.
5. In 2010, a controversial amendment to the Florida state constitution known as Amendment 4 was passed, which required voter approval for any changes to local land use plans. This measure was seen by many as a setback for developers and a victory for environmentalists and community activists.
- Tags: FL