1. In 1905, the cornerstone for the state capitol building was laid in Topeka. The building was completed in 1907 and remains a prominent landmark in the city.
2. In 1947, the first Sunflower Showdown football game between the University of Kansas and Kansas State University was played. KU won the game 21-9 and the rivalry continues to this day.
3. In 1864, during the Civil War, Confederate General Sterling Price's troops defeated Union soldiers at the Battle of Mine Creek near present-day Pleasanton. It was one of the largest cavalry battles of the war west of the Mississippi River.
4. In 1984, the Kansas City Royals won the American League Championship Series against the Detroit Tigers, advancing to the World Series for the second time in team history.
5. In 1923, the first radio station in Kansas, WPA (later known as KFRM), began broadcasting in Salina. The station is still in operation today, broadcasting farm news and classic country music.
- Tags: KS