1. In 1818, the Treaty of St. Mary's was signed in Fort Wayne, Indiana, ceding over 3 million acres of land to the United States from the Miami tribe.
2. In 1869, the first intercollegiate football game in the state was played between Wabash College and Butler University. Wabash won the game 6-0.
3. In 1908, the first Indiana State Fair to be held in Indianapolis began on October 6th. The fair has been held annually since, with the exception of the years during World War II.
4. In 1963, the Indiana University football team upset the top-ranked Wisconsin Badgers 14-10 in a game that would later be known as the "Helmet Game" due to IU's choice to wear special helmets featuring both white and crimson colors.
5. In 2009, the Indiana Fever won the WNBA Championship, defeating the Phoenix Mercury in five games. This was the first professional sports championship for a team from Indiana since the Indiana Pacers won the ABA championship in 1973.
- Tags: IN