1. In 1638, Roger Williams founded the town of Providence, Rhode Island. October 9 is celebrated as "Rhode Island Founder's Day" to commemorate this event.
2. In 1771, the British revenue schooner HMS Gaspee ran aground in the waters off of present-day Gaspee Point, Rhode Island. This incident led to the burning of the Gaspee by colonists and is considered one of the significant events leading up to the American Revolution.
3. In 1871, the first official game of baseball was played under artificial lights in Rhode Island. The Providence Grays defeated the Worcester Ruby Legs 6-0 in a game played at Dexter Park in Pawtucket.
4. In 1957, the Scituate Reservoir was completed. The reservoir is the primary water supply for Providence and surrounding towns.
5. In 2004, the Providence Bruins hockey team opened the season with a 3-2 win over the Manchester Monarchs. The game was the first to be played at the Dunkin' Donuts Center following an $80 million renovation.
5 Fun Facts About October 9 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →