1. On September 12, 1787, North Carolina became the twelfth state to ratify the United States Constitution, officially making it a part of the Union.
2. On September 12, 1918, Camp Greene in Charlotte, North Carolina, received its first shipment of soldiers as part of the World War I effort. The camp ultimately trained over 60,000 soldiers before closing in 1919.
3. On September 12, 1940, the first T-6 Texan aircraft rolled off the assembly line at the North American Aviation plant in Inglewood, California. The T-6 Texan would go on to become a popular trainer plane used by the United States military, and many were built in North Carolina.
4. On September 12, 1977, the Charlotte Hornets played their first game as a professional basketball team in the National Basketball Association (NBA). The Hornets lost to the Cleveland Cavaliers 109-90.
5. On September 12, 1996, Hurricane Fran made landfall in North Carolina, causing widespread damage and flooding across the state. Fran was responsible for 37 deaths and more than $3 billion in damages.
- Tags: NC