1. On September 13, 1960, Hurricane Donna made landfall in the Florida Keys, causing widespread destruction and claiming the lives of 13 people.
2. In 2008, Tropical Storm Fay made landfall in Southwest Florida on September 13, causing widespread flooding and power outages.
3. On September 13, 1971, famed musician and singer Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors, was found dead in his bathtub in Paris, France. Morrison had spent his early years in Florida and attended college at Florida State University.
4. September 13, 2017 marked the 10-year anniversary of the deadly wildfires that swept through parts of Florida in 2007, burning over 500,000 acres and causing over $300 million in damages.
5. On September 13, 1907, construction began on the Tamiami Trail, a roadway that would eventually connect Tampa to Miami and become an important transportation route for the state. The project took over 13 years to complete and cost over $8 million.
- Tags: FL