1. On September 15, 1922, the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act was signed into law by President Warren G. Harding, providing for the construction of homes for Native Hawaiians on homestead land designated by the Hawaiian Homes Commission.
2. On September 15, 1959, Hawaii became the 50th state of the United States.
3. On September 15, 1992, Hurricane Iniki made landfall on the island of Kauai, causing widespread devastation and resulting in over $1.8 billion in damage.
4. On September 15, 2014, a lava flow from the Kilauea volcano began to threaten the town of Pahoa on the Big Island, forcing residents to evacuate and destroying several homes and buildings.
5. On September 15, 2020, Hawaii began to welcome tourists again after a six-month quarantine period due to the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing visitors to bypass the quarantine with a negative pre-travel COVID test result.
- Tags: HI