1. On September 16, 1847, Iowa's first Constitutional Convention was held in Iowa City. The convention was held to create a constitution for Iowa to become a state.
2. The Hawkeyes, the University of Iowa's football team, played their first game on September 16, 1899, against Grinnell College. The Hawkeyes won 24-0.
3. On September 16, 1918, the last major battle of World War I involving Iowans took place. The battle was the Meuse-Argonne Offensive and involved over 100,000 American soldiers. Over 3,500 Iowans were killed or injured during the battle.
4. On September 16, 1968, the Hawkeye marching band performed at the halftime show during the Monday Night Football game between the New York Jets and Cleveland Browns. This was the first time a college band had ever performed during a Monday Night Football game.
5. The Iowa State Fair, one of the largest state fairs in the country, typically ends on September 16 or 17. The fair features a variety of attractions, including concerts, carnival rides, and agricultural exhibitions.
- Tags: IA