1. On September 18, 1793, the Rhode Island Society for the Encouragement of Domestic Industry was founded. The society aimed to promote local industries in the state and stimulate economic growth.
2. In 1856, the Rhode Island State Fair was held for the first time on September 18th in Providence. The event showcased agriculture, livestock, and other products from around the state and attracted thousands of visitors.
3. On September 18, 1895, the first electric streetcar system was introduced in Providence. The new system replaced the old horse-drawn carriages and made transportation more efficient and reliable.
4. In 1922, Hurricane Seven struck Rhode Island on September 18th causing significant damage along the coastal areas of the state. The hurricane brought high winds and heavy rain, resulting in flooding and destruction of homes and businesses.
5. On September 18, 1983, the Newport Harbor Hurricane Barrier was completed, protecting the city of Newport from the damaging effects of storms and hurricanes. The barrier is one of the largest in the world and has been credited with preventing significant damage during several major storms.
5 Fun Facts About September 18 In Rhode Island History
---Learn Every Day: RI Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ri To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: RI
← Older Post Newer Post →