1. In 1776, the Delaware Assembly declared the state's independence from Great Britain, becoming the first state to do so. This event is now celebrated as Delaware Day on December 7th.
2. In 1934, the DuPont Company successfully created neoprene, a synthetic rubber that became essential for manufacturing during World War II.
3. On September 21, 1985, the Delaware Museum of Natural History opened its doors in Wilmington. The museum features exhibits on Delaware's natural history, including wildlife, geology, and local ecosystems.
4. In 1861, the Battle of Shepherdstown took place near the Delaware-Maryland border during the Civil War. The Union Army's victory in this battle helped secure their position in the area.
5. The University of Delaware was established on September 21, 1743, as a private academy in Newark. It is now a public research university with over 24,000 students and a campus covering over 2,000 acres.
- Tags: DE