1. On September 22, 1823, Arkansas became a territory of the United States. This marked the beginning of a new era for the state, which had previously been under Spanish and French control.
2. In 1862, the Battle of Newtonia took place in Missouri, just north of the Arkansas border. Confederate forces from Arkansas were involved in the battle, and their defeat was a major blow to Southern morale.
3. On September 22, 1912, the Arkansas State Teachers Association was founded in Little Rock. This organization would go on to play an important role in the development of the state's education system.
4. In 1927, the first paved road in Arkansas was completed on September 22. The road ran from Little Rock to Benton and was a major improvement over the dirt roads that had been the norm up to that point.
5. On September 22, 1962, the Arkansas Travelers minor league baseball team won the Junior World Series. This was the first championship for the team, which continues to be a popular attraction in the state today.
- Tags: AR