1. In 1819, the state of Indiana approved the first charter for a bank in the state. This bank was located in the capital city of Indianapolis.
2. In 1857, the Indiana State Fair was held in Indianapolis for the first time. The fair has since become an annual tradition where people come together to celebrate agriculture, entertainment, and education.
3. On September 24, 1900, the Indiana School for the Deaf opened its doors in Indianapolis. The school was the first state-sponsored school for the deaf in Indiana and provided education to deaf students from all over the state.
4. In 1930, the legendary songwriter and composer, Hoagy Carmichael, released his hit song "Georgia on My Mind." Born and raised in Bloomington, Indiana, Carmichael has become one of the most celebrated musicians in American history.
5. On September 24, 1994, the Indiana Pacers opened their training camp for the first time in the newly constructed Conseco Fieldhouse. The arena, which is now known as Bankers Life Fieldhouse, has been the home of the Pacers since it opened in 1999.
- Tags: IN