1. In 1777, the British army captured Wilmington, Delaware. The Continental Army was forced to retreat to nearby Chester, Pennsylvania.
2. In 1782, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Articles of Confederation, the first constitution of the United States.
3. In 1804, the first steam-powered vessel, the Phoenix, entered the Delaware River at Wilmington. This marked the beginning of a new era of transportation for the city and the state.
4. In 1908, the Delaware State Fair, one of the oldest and largest agricultural fairs in the country, was first held in Harrington, Delaware. The fair has been held annually ever since, showcasing the state's agricultural heritage and traditions.
5. In 1982, the first Delaware Hispanic Festival was held in Wilmington, celebrating the diverse cultural heritage of the state's Hispanic population. The festival has since become an annual event, drawing thousands of visitors from all over the region.
- Tags: DE