1. Oklahoma Territory was officially established on September 28, 1890. This designated a large section of the western United States as a separate jurisdiction from other territories at the time.
2. On September 28, 1928, the University of Oklahoma inaugurated its eleventh president, William Bennett Bizzell. Bizzell transformed the university into a nationally recognized higher education institution during his tenure.
3. On September 28, 1948, Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher became the first African American woman to attend the University of Oklahoma College of Law. Her efforts to gain admission in the face of segregationist policies helped lay the groundwork for the eventual desegregation of higher education in Oklahoma.
4. The first American oil well in Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) was drilled on September 28, 1859. The well, located near present-day Bartlesville, marked the beginning of a major economic boom for the region.
5. September 28, 1958, marked the dedication of the Tulsa International Airport. The airport has served as a major hub for air travel in the state of Oklahoma and is home to several major airlines and aviation companies.
5 Fun Facts About September 28 In Oklahoma History
---Learn Every Day: OK Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history ok To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: OK
← Older Post Newer Post →