1. In 1819, the Arkansas Territory was officially established. This marked the beginning of the state's journey towards statehood, which it eventually achieved in 1836.
2. On September 3, 1957, Governor Orval Faubus called in the Arkansas National Guard to prevent nine African American students from entering Little Rock Central High School. This event, known as the Little Rock Crisis, became a turning point in the civil rights movement and helped bring about desegregation.
3. In 1962, President John F. Kennedy visited Arkansas to attend the dedication of the Greers Ferry Dam. The project had been in the works for over a decade and was considered a significant infrastructure project for the state.
4. On this day in 1964, the University of Arkansas at Little Rock was founded. Today, it is the largest university in central Arkansas and serves over 12,000 students.
5. In 1997, the Arkansas Travelers minor league baseball team won the Texas League championship. The team has a long history in Arkansas and is beloved by many residents for its contribution to the state's sports culture.
- Tags: AR