1. On September 8, 1775, the Pennsylvania Navy was established by the Pennsylvania Provincial Congress. It was the first navy to be authorized by the Continental Congress and played a significant role in the American Revolutionary War.
2. The first recorded bank robbery in the United States took place in Carlisle, Pennsylvania on September 8, 1866. The robbers made off with over $300,000 in cash and government bonds, but they were eventually caught and brought to justice.
3. In 1930, J. Edgar Hoover, the first director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), opened the first FBI field office in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was an important step in the development of the modern FBI and its efforts to fight crime across the country.
4. On September 8, 1974, President Gerald Ford granted a full pardon to former President Richard Nixon for any crimes he may have committed during his time in office, including the Watergate scandal. The decision was controversial and caused a great deal of public debate and criticism.
5. In 2010, the National September 11 Memorial Museum opened in New York City, featuring exhibits and artifacts related to the tragic events of September 11, 2001. Many of the victims of the attacks were from Pennsylvania, and the state played a significant role in the aftermath of the tragedy.
5 Fun Facts About September 8 In Pennsylvania History
---Learn Every Day: PA Today In History Facts Texted Each Day - Text: history pa To: 618-270-4005---
- Tags: PA
← Older Post Newer Post →